Wednesday, July 1, 2009

not my future.

Recently while cashiering at Old Navy, I had the misfortune of observing a very unhappily married couple and their children.
They walk up, mother scolding, children pestering, and father standing behind them with his clothing separated from theirs staring off into space. The mother is about to pay for her and her kids clothing when one of them decides they want to go grab another item.

wife (to husband): "Jake is getting something else so why don't you just put your stuff in our pile."
husband: "I thought you wanted me to pay for my own stuff?"
wife: "Our cards are to the same account so it's all the same money anyways."
husband: "No it's alright, I'll pay for my stuff."
wife: "Seriously, just put your stuff in the pile."
husband: ...
wife: "I guess this is what happens after 10 years."
husband: ...

Really?
"I guess this is what happens after 10 years."
I was shocked someone would so blatantly say such a defeatist and hopeless statement...
I mean how do you recover from that?
...I'm sorry I said our marriage is a failure?
I'm sorry I said I gave up when things stopped being easy
I'm sorry I said I don't enjoy being around you anymore
I'm sorry I said I'm not happy with our life together

It's no wonder so many marriages end in divorce with an attitude like that.

It got me thinking...
I'd like to say that if both people in a relationship try hard enough to make it work and are as unselfish as possible, that you can make any relationship work...and work happily. I do know however that there are exceptions, but you are still expected to make the best out of whatever life situation God has given you.

Granted I'm not married, but I hope to be someday and I pray I never end up like that.
...Oy do relationships take a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment